The Sustainability Studio provides protocol management (LEED, Living Building Challenge, etc.), guidance, strategy development and technical expertise for designing buildings with optimal performance and reduced environmental impact. Our services are customized for each client to identify sustainability paths which will align with project goals, increase profits, improve human health, and generate market demand.
Just like all studios at Rushing, none of our services function in isolation. Our sustainability team draws upon the engineering expertise within the company to provide technical input and cost/benefit analyses to inform decision making with real science. Our practice of cross disciplinary collaboration and a full suite of services under one roof brings efficiency to project team coordination of sustainability strategies.
We advise owners, developers, architects, engineers, public agencies, businesses, general contractors and operations teams, to define goals, assess projects within their context, analyze sustainability opportunities and design cost effective solutions. Blending ecological expertise and technical know-how, the Sustainability Studio services include the following:
- Sustainable strategy development—consulting, workshop facilitation and design conceptualization.
- Sustainability protocol management including LEED, Built Green, Living Building Challenge, Evergreen Sustainable Development Standard (ESDS), Passive House and more.
- Sustainability feasibility studies.
- Technical analysis—daylighting, water efficiency, photovoltaic inputs, energy efficiency, material life cycle costs, natural ventilation.
- Tenant improvement design guidelines.
- Post-occupancy evaluations.
- Net-zero energy strategy development and analyses.
- Funding procurement, including Seattle City Light (Built Smart) and Puget Sound Energy (PSE) incentives.
- Climate adaptation strategy development—advice for design and/or renovations of buildings for preparation of near future climate impacts.