Innovative. Integrated. Client-centered. Rushing’s approach is a refreshing shift from traditional engineering and sustainability consulting firms. Founded as a new model for consulting engineering, we generate holistic designs that support and enhance the vision of our clients. We view buildings and their systems interdependently—not as separate elements—and provide a full spectrum of integrated engineering and sustainability services to support and execute this approach.
In the same way that the industry responds to changing technology, codes and demand, we take a flexible and adaptive approach to design and project delivery. We listen carefully to our clients and project teams, tailor our participation based on the specific requirements of each project and work collaboratively to achieve project objectives and goals. As we collaborate with our partners in shaping Seattle and its surrounding areas, we learn valuable lessons that inform both our future projects and our role within the industry.
Our work has touched every market in the Puget Sound region and beyond, with projects ranging from residential towers to transit stations.
- Fire Station 29Emily Slusser2020-08-14T12:00:42-07:00
- Chloe on Madison (1401 E. Madison)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:31:52-07:00
- Capitol Hill Transit-Oriented DevelopmentEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:32:22-07:00
- August Wilson Place (LIHI Bellevue)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:32:53-07:00
- UW North Campus HousingEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:33:01-07:00
- 8th and RepublicanEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:33:25-07:00
- Luma (1321 Seneca)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:33:41-07:00
- The Parsonage (4138 Brooklyn Ave)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:33:58-07:00
- Northgate RedevelopmentEmily Slusser2019-12-05T14:28:28-08:00
- Sound Transit, E360Emily Slusser2020-03-09T11:50:16-07:00
- Axle (3230 16th Ave W)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:34:33-07:00
- Ernestine Anderson PlaceEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:34:40-07:00
- VIDA (66th St.)Emily Slusser2019-10-02T14:30:05-07:00
- Orion (Block 47)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:35:04-07:00
- Cyrene (Western and University)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:35:20-07:00
- Seattle Asian Art MuseumEmily Slusser2020-09-17T09:29:56-07:00
- Aura Totem LakeEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:35:55-07:00
- University VillageEmily Slusser2020-01-21T08:49:30-08:00
- Station HouseEmily Slusser2019-09-04T08:23:07-07:00
- Abbey Lincoln Court (LIHI 2020 S Jackson)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:36:21-07:00
- Liberty Bank BuildingEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:36:56-07:00
- Esterra Park (Block 8)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:37:12-07:00
- CityCenter LynnwoodEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:37:27-07:00
- Arbor Blocks (Block 52 and 57)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:37:42-07:00
- AMLI SLUEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:38:01-07:00
- 624 YaleEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:38:14-07:00
- Avalon Belltown Towers (210 Wall)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:38:30-07:00
- Charter Hotel (2nd and Stewart)Emily Slusser2019-10-16T10:30:08-07:00
- Sound Transit, East LinkEmily Slusser2019-08-21T14:37:01-07:00
- Sound Transit, LynnwoodEmily Slusser2020-03-10T11:05:45-07:00
- Seattle Office of Arts and CultureEmily Slusser2020-08-10T12:08:50-07:00
- The State Hotel (2nd and Pike)Emily Slusser2019-11-12T10:15:01-08:00
- WhittakerEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:41:12-07:00
- Sitka (Block 11)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:41:49-07:00
- Cerasa (10845 2nd)Emily Slusser2019-11-14T14:44:13-08:00
- Stratus (9th and Lenora)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:42:37-07:00
- Zella (203 W Republican)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:43:08-07:00
- Twenty20 MAD (2026 E Madison)Emily Slusser2019-11-14T14:48:13-08:00
- Elara at the Market (2134 Western)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:43:36-07:00
- Muse (19th and Overton)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:43:57-07:00
- Leeward (1319 Dexter)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:44:29-07:00
- Cocoon HouseEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:44:55-07:00
- Helios (2nd and Pine)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:45:12-07:00
- Marlowe (SLU Fairview)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:45:32-07:00
- Ascent (SLU Fairview)Emily Slusser2020-08-20T13:32:33-07:00
- Moxy Seattle (Hotel Moxy)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:45:57-07:00
- Arrive (2116 4th)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:46:15-07:00
- 450 AlaskanEmily Slusser2020-08-13T16:46:31-07:00
- Tower 12 (2nd and Virginia)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:46:46-07:00
- Red Cedar (Yesler Terrace Phase III)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:47:11-07:00
- Nexus (1200 Howell)Emily Slusser2020-08-13T16:47:33-07:00
- East Union (2220 E Union)Emily Slusser2020-05-08T11:04:22-07:00
- 206 BellElaine2020-08-13T16:49:00-07:00
- Urban GreenprintElaine2019-11-21T14:01:45-08:00
- Dexter StationElaine2020-08-13T16:49:47-07:00
- The PostElaine2020-08-13T16:52:18-07:00
- West 8th Office BuildingElaine2020-08-13T16:52:42-07:00
- Viktoria (1915 2nd Ave)Elaine2020-08-13T16:52:59-07:00
- Verdant Community Wellness CenterElaine2019-11-21T11:48:11-08:00
- Tahoma National CemeteryElaine2020-08-13T16:54:05-07:00
- Chihuly Garden and Glass ExhibitElaine2020-08-13T16:54:33-07:00
- Sur La Table | Hearst BuildingElaine2020-08-13T16:54:59-07:00
- Samuel E. Kelly Ethnic Cultural CenterElaine2020-08-13T16:55:17-07:00
- Seattle U | Admissions and AlumniElaine2020-08-13T16:55:34-07:00
- Seattle Art MuseumElaine2019-11-21T11:40:41-08:00
- Russell Investments CenterElaine2020-08-13T16:56:33-07:00
- Pike Place MarketElaine2019-11-21T11:36:55-08:00
- Rushing Corporate OfficeElaine2020-08-13T16:57:26-07:00
- Philips Heartstream | Tenant ImprovementElaine2019-11-21T11:35:18-08:00
- Pacific PlaceElaine2019-11-21T11:31:11-08:00
- Olive 8Elaine2020-09-11T07:36:47-07:00
- Newcastle LibraryElaine2019-11-21T11:27:04-08:00
- Lake City CourtElaine2019-11-21T11:25:47-08:00
- King Street StationElaine2020-08-13T17:00:14-07:00
- Institute for Systems BiologyElaine2020-08-13T17:00:32-07:00
- Frye ApartmentsElaine2019-11-21T11:20:07-08:00
- Fairview Research CenterElaine2019-11-21T11:19:21-08:00
- First Hill StreetcarElaine2020-08-13T17:01:22-07:00
- EMP MuseumElaine2019-11-21T11:16:40-08:00
- Dimension (3rd and Cedar)Elaine2020-08-13T17:02:40-07:00
- Dexter Horton BuildingElaine2019-11-21T11:14:04-08:00
- City Center BellevueElaine2020-08-13T17:03:36-07:00
- Casey Family Programs at West 8thElaine2020-08-13T17:03:52-07:00
- Bertschi SchoolElaine2020-08-18T09:03:38-07:00
- Amazon Block 34 & 35Elaine2020-08-13T17:04:28-07:00
- Aspira ApartmentsElaine2017-03-22T08:32:19-07:00
- 5th & YeslerElaine2020-08-13T17:04:57-07:00
- Benaroya Research InstituteElaine2017-03-22T08:32:19-07:00
Our work is focused around three main components:
We view buildings and their systems interdependently, not as separate elements. That’s why we provide a full spectrum of integrated engineering and sustainability management—in areas of expertise you might not expect from a typical engineering firm.
We focus on the essentials. We tailor our participation based on the specific requirements of each project. We’re involved with all the key stakeholders—owners, architects, contractors—from conception to completion, and work collaboratively to achieve overall project objectives.
We always strategize how to bring the design to the construction market. We work closely with our clients to define all of the parameters of a project and the specific criteria for success.
We take pride in the company we keep and the causes we support.
American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers
American Society of Plumbing Engineers
Building Commissioning Association
Illuminating Engineering Society
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers
International Association of Lighting Designers
International Code Council
International Living Future Institute
Master Builders Association
National Council on Qualifications for the Lighting Professions
National Fire Protection Association
National Science Foundation: Engineering Girl
National Council of Examiners for Engineering and Land Surveying
Seattle Architecture Foundation
Seattle Construction Code Advisory Board
Seattle Fire Code Advisory Board
U.S. Green Building Council
Washington State Building Code Council
AIA Seattle, 2019 Honor Awards for Washington Architecture
Boys and Girls Clubs of King County
Clean Lake Union
Design In Public
Highline Schools Foundation for Excellence, Burien Brat Trot
King County Sexual Assault Resource Center
Puget Sound Business Journal, Women Who Lead
Seattle Art Museum
Seattle King County NAACP
Toys for Tots
- Top 100 MEP engineering firm in North America in 2020 by Consulting-Specifying Engineer (CSE).
- Best Workplaces in Washington in 2020 by the Puget Sound Business Journal.
- Most Equitable Workplaces in Washington in 2019, ranked at number 9 by the Puget Sound Business Journal using the GEN Index.
- Breaking The Ceiling: Corporate Leadership Award finalist at the 2019 ELEVATE awards.
- Workplace Development Small Business of the Year award 2014 finalist by the King County Executive’s Small Business Awards.
- Best Places to Work by Washington CEO Magazine in 2008.
- Grand Award for Best Multi-Family Housing Community at the 2020 Gold Nugget Awards for NEXUS.
- Award of Merit for Best Mixed-Use Project at the 2020 Golden Nugget Awards for Cypress.
- Award of Merit for Best On-the-Boards Mixed-Use Project at the 2020 Golden Nugget Awards for 1200 45th St.
- Award of Merit for Best Affordable Housing Community at the 2020 Golden Nugget Awards for An Lac.
- Award of Merit for Best Affordable Housing Community at the 2020 Golden Nugget Awards for Station House (Capitol Hill TOD Building B North).
- Award of Merit for Best Multi-Family Housing Community at the 2020 Golden Nugget Awards for Ascent.
- Award of Merit for Best On-the-Boards Multifamily Community at the 2020 Golden Nugget Awards for Waverly.
- Affordable Housing Development of the Year at the 2019 NAIOP Night of the Stars for Liberty Bank Building.
- Multi-Family Residential Suburban Development of the Year: More than 100 Units at the 2019 NAIOP Night of the Stars for The Triangle.
- Multi-Family Residential Urban Development of the Year: More than 100 Units at the 2019 NAIOP Night of the Stars for Sitka.
- Office Development of the Year at the 2019 NAIOP Night of the Stars for Arbor Blocks.
- Award of Merit at 2019 AIA Seattle Honor Awards for The Shea.
- Young Voices Selection and Honorable Mention at 2019 AIA Seattle Honor Awards for ARTS at King Street Station.
- Preservation Development of the Year (gold) at the 2019 Skyline Awards for The State Hotel.
- Multifamily High-Rise Development of the Year (gold) at the 2019 Skyline Awards for Ascent.
- Multifamily Low-Mid Rise Development of the Year (silver) at the 2019 Skyline Awards for Sitka.
- Global Awards for Excellence 2019 finalist by the Urban Land Institute for The Mark.
- Illumination Award of Merit at the 2019 IES Illumination Awards for Stratus.
- Illumination Award for interior lighting design at the 2017 IES Illumination Awards for Luma.
- Illumination Award of Merit at the 2016 IES Illumination Awards for Cielo.
- Illumination Award of Merit at the 2016 IES Illumination Awards for Cirrus.
- Merit Award at the 2015 AIA Washington Council Civic Design Awards for Federal Way 320th Library. Our team provided mechanical, electrical and plumbing engineering and lighting design services for this project.
- Outstanding Multifamily Project of the Year at the 2013 LEED for Homes Awards by the U.S. Green Building Council for Stack House. Rushing provided electrical engineering and lighting design services for the apartment complex.
- New Residential Building first place award in 2012 by ASHRAE Puget Sound Chapter and second place award by ASHRAE Region XI for Lake City Court.
Rushing was founded to create a new model for consulting engineering. When you work with Rushing you can always count on the following:
Integrated design—We approach each project with a whole building/whole site perspective and work closely with the project stakeholders.
Flexible project delivery—We consider all the variables and assist in determining the type of delivery that makes the most sense for each client and each project.
Value analysis—From cost control to project rebates, helping our clients maximize and manage their budget is an important part of everything we do.
Straight talk—We’re honest and direct with our clients and team members. We’ll let you know what we really think, even if that means telling you something unexpected or that may be difficult to hear.
Sustainability consulting—Our in-house sustainability experts deliver flexible, custom, and dedicated sustainability expertise to assist owners and design teams in achieving their environmental goals.
Want to collaborate?
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.